Skip to main content

Week 13: The Final Countdown

        As I reflect on week 13, lessons in electrical wiring, SDGs, Biosecurity, and the Endocrine System all worked together to make time fly by! As I am now a week away from completing my student teaching experience I am asking myself, how is that possible?! 



        I began my week with Ohm's Law, Lock & Key analogies, and biosecurity! M Introduction to Agriculture, Ag Mechanics 1, and Veterinary Sciences courses all played a role in my final evaluation, and they created an action packed week. We addressed very complicated questions like "how are we going to feed a doubling population by 2050?" and "what role does Ohm's law play in agriculture?". These questions along with many others played a vital role in the comprehension and discovery that took place this week, not only for my students but myself as well. 



       On top of the variety of content covered in the classroom, I also had the opportunity to create my first bulletin board as an Ag Teacher, chaperone my first field trip, and my first community service activity. It was a week of so many firsts as well as a week of many lasts as I turned over 2 courses back to my cooperating teachers. It was sad, yet bittersweet as many of my students realized that I did not in fact work at the school and I would not be coming back next fall. I begin to reflect on how far I have come since I began my time at Athens in January, and how much my students and I have grown. A prime example of this would be in my Introduction to Agriculture course. At the beginning of my time in Athens, many of my students were quiet and lack confidence in their ability to speak publically. Throughout my time I have seen even the quietest of students find their voices and I have found ways to channel that excitement and enthusiasm into my lessons. 

     I am confident that my last week at Athens will have many things in store, and I am thankful for the little time we have left together as we continue to grow together. So, here's to the next 5 days Athens, let's make the best of them! 




Comments

  1. Megan,
    I love your bulletin board idea!! What a great way to show of your student’s progress. Looking forward to seeing you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan - Woohoo!!! We made it to week 14! Can't wait to read your final blog reflection. How did you go about teaching the SDGs? My students loved the SDG board game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next ...

Dear Athens,

  Dear Athens,        If I would have been told that the student teacher who walked into the classroom on day one would be where she is right now, I would not believe you. We have laughed, we have cried, and we have had a lot of fun together. I have not only grown in my ability to speak in front of a classroom but through online engagement techniques, labs, evaluation, and building relationships. Each and every student that has walked into my classroom has left an impact on me and who I am now as Miss. Royer. I feel that to fully give Athens the thank you they all deserve I must go class by class.      Horticulture,                  You taught me how to find enthusiasm in the earliest of hours, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to work in the greenhouse. I will always be grateful for your honesty so early in the morning and allowing me to push you further as we all grew together. I will nev...

Playing with Blocks!

      This week we created interest approaches to help our students get their feet wet at the beginning of our lessons. My interest approach was created for a SAE/FFA Leadership course introducing communication and the different forms we frequently use. The students partnered up and used legos to build the actions written on their chosen note card. One student was the "speaker" and used the legos to communicate the task that they wanted their partner to complete. The "speaker" was not able to talk, motion, draw, or give any hints to their partner who was acting as the "listener".  Once all of the students had the chance to play each role we discussed who was successful, who wasn't, and why they believed that was the case. We also discussed how they communicated with partners making the transition into the content for the day which was exploring verbal and nonverbal communication. I chose this lesson for two reasons. First, I thoug ht it would be a fun...