Skip to main content

Problems in Our Barnyard!

  This week my lab challenged my cohort members to properly diagnose our barnyard! We had a duroc named Daisy, a Holstein named Holly and were lucky enough to have Stitch visiting our barnyard for this activity! Using Koch's Postulates, they worked in groups to determine if the illness each animal possessed was an infectious disease or not. This activity was a part of our problem based lab and we each had 20 minutes to teach an activity that challenged our students to solve a problem. Thankfully for me, I had some pretty great students who were quick to find their diagnosis. 

    This week I think I did a better job of moving throughout the classroom as well as keeping track of time. Last lab, I didn't pay as close attention to how quickly time went by but this week I felt as though I managed time throughout the portions of the activity much better. I also feel that I did a better job of assessing when students were ready to move on and when they might need more time to complete an activity. I also utilized a different time from last week, it was an animated horse race for the 6 minute time period I had set for the students to complete the task. Though I thought it was a fun way to incorporate a timer and connect it to Veterinary Science, I noticed that in the beginning it acted as a distraction to many of my students.

    For next week, I would like to improve upon keeping track of my lesson plan. I have a habit of laying it down while teaching our setting up activities and then I misplace it for the remainder of the lesson. Thankfully I try to do a very detailed job on my slides so I know what comes next that if for some reason I do not have my lesson plan I know what should happen next. However, I feel that it can only improve my confidence if I am able to keep a hold of my lesson plan to ensure I ask the right prompting questions. I also will choose a different method to time my students, one that is fun but won’t act as distraction. Overall, I think that lab last week was an absolute blast and I cannot wait to see what my cohort members have come up for this week! 






Comments

  1. Megan I loved this lesson this week! I thought it was a great idea to have different kinds of scenarios with the different animals. It felt like a puzzle and I had so much fun working through it. Your students are going to love this activity (not to mention, learn so much)! The timer was a really cute idea as well, and it was nice to have some background noise while we worked around the room.
    If you're concerned about your confidence it doesn't show when you teach! You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    Great reflection. I agree that you did a nice job in moving around the room, especially during the activity. I do the same thing with my plans, sometimes.. The neat thing is the fact that you commit a huge portion of the course structure to memory when you put the time into preparing the plan. Great lesson, and I look forward to seeing other lessons that connect to this particular lesson, as we review units/plans for your student teaching semester!
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,

    I think this activity was perfect for our problem solving approach lab. It got your students thinking on higher levels and really engaging with the course material. I think you did a great job teaching your lesson and by moving around the room you were very quick to answers our questions and keep us moving with the activity (also keeping the whole lesson on time). Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan,
    I really enjoyed your lesson! I liked that the students were able to move around the room and work on multiple problems. I think that the activity was super interactive and engaging, and your visuals/props were a great addition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every