Skip to main content

Week 14: Don't Blink

 14 Weeks ago, I walked into class terrified. Was I going to be good enough, could I do this, will my students even like me? These are some of the thoughts the swirled around my head when I walked in on the first day. As I walked out of Athens on Friday I quickly realized, I was good enough, I could do this, and my students loved me just as much as I loved them. I know longer was Megan, unsure of herself and her abilities but now Miss. Royer the agriculture science teacher who successfully navigated plumbing, the nervous system, animal agriculture, shark tank projects, speeches, and so much more in the past 14 weeks of student teaching, 

    In the beginning of this experience I struggled with time management and student engagement, by the end my students loved to share but I always made sure we were ready for that bell to ring. I grew in my ability to evaluate students both with formal and informal evaluations such a projects, tickets in and out, quizzes, tests, and 3-2-1s. Most importantly I asked for student feedback, their perspective as well as the input from my cooperating teachers, my student teaching advisor, and the principal. This feedback at times was difficult to hear but ultimately helped me to pinpoint where areas of growth were. It also helped me to improve activities for my future students which many of my students took seriously and were honored to be apart of.

    I have seen so much change in my students since my first day in the classroom. Even my most difficult of students found their voice, their passion, and believed in themselves a little more by the time my time Athens concluded. This growth was amazing to watch as I too was able to reflect and realize that I too have been growing right beside them. Their strength in the most difficult of times is what made me stronger, their enthusiasm even on toughest days is what made me want to get better, and their patience when a lesson did not go as planned is what allowed me to not be so rough on myself. 

    As I look forward to the next chapter in my Ag Ed journey I plan to take a few things with me. First, kahoot and candy, they are always wonderful motivators and put the fun in learning. I plan to utilize these as much as possible. Second, a quote that my students often reminded me of, "It'll buff out". Often times, I was scared that when a lesson did not go the way I had intended, it was in fact the end of the world. That reminder that eventually things will work out and that I was in fact learning truly helped me get through so rough times. I plan to take that with me. Lastly, planning. I struggled to stick to a plan that I created, whether that be loss of time, transition from in person to online classes, or other extenuating circumstances. Believing in myself enough to trust the plan I have created. 

    To the 2022 cohort, don't blink. I know this is cheesy but it is the best advice I can give you. Soak up every moment, every second, every lesson plan, and grade. Your experience will fly by just as fast as mine and I do not want you to take any of it for granted. As I realize tomorrow will be the first time in 4 months I will not be driving to Athens

     The Penn State Teach Ag family has been so good to me for the past 4 years and they too have played a role in shaping me into the person and teacher I am today. Thank you for the pep talks, the feedback, and the many adventures to a multitude of places. Happy Valley with always be my home, but you all helped me find my wings to fly.

Thank you! 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every