Skip to main content

Snow Days, Tye Dye, and Many Ways to Grow!

 As the snow fell and our in person school days quickly turned into virtual, the school week went from 5 days to 2! Though the school week was shorter, so many opportunities to learn occurred over those short two days I had in person. I had the chance to sit down with my CTs and discuss my first week of student teaching which was exciting and nerve wrecking all at the same time! I also had my first visit from Dr. Curry, my university supervisor and spent Friday evening with the Seniors at the chapter's third and final FFA Lock In. 

    Navigating the ever changing dynamic that is teaching in a COVID world, was quite the challenge this week. Finding ways to promote student engagement when we were not meeting in a formal school setting as well as move forward with content was a new and unique obstacle within itself. I learned A LOT from this experience navigating the varying levels of access and internet capabilities each student faces as well as their ability to learn in a digital setting. Moving forward, I plan to find activities that do not seem as though they are "work" utilizing things like online break boxes, content based games, or simply sending them on a scavenger hunt through their house for things that might have the same labeling as pesticides. 

    A win for this week was seeing the excitement in my students faces as they learned that I soon would be taking over their courses. Next week, I will begin teaching in my Introduction to Agriculture sections as we discuss SAEs and how they play a role in student's success. I'm excited to share with my students the impact that my SAEs have had on me and the many things they can accomplish through their own SAE project. Another win, after a particularly rough speech work day in my SAE/FFA class, a student shared that though her classmates are not particularly thrilled about writing a speech she is! She has been waiting to do Prepared Speaking ever since she was a freshman and recited the creed the FFA Creed.  She wanted me to know how happy she is about what we have been learning in class even if her classmates were not as thrilled. 

    Though I would say that this week was not a picture perfect week of student teaching, I would argue it was not a failure. I am a better teacher because of it all and have many new ideas of how to improve throughout the remainder of this experience thanks to the help of my CTs and Dr. Curry. Next week, I plan to implement a time to demonstrate stricter timelines of when I expect tasks should be completed throughout the class period. I also plan to be direct with my direction sets, avoiding yes or no questions. I'm excited to see the progress I make over the next few weeks and how my students and myself grow throughout these experience.


Questions: 

How do you effectively communicate direction sets to your students, avoiding the use of yes or no questions?


Comments

  1. Hi Megan,

    I love how you utilized the online breakout boxes we learned about during pre-internship to help you during online days! I also really liked your other ideas of incorporating games and scavenger hunts into this instruction (I may be stealing these ideas). As for your question, I am also struggling a little in this area but I am going to try to have my students repeat my instructions back to me before beginning the activity. Asking questions like "So how much time do you have for this activity" or " What are you supposed to do after completing the research section" should help to reenforce the directions. I also think using a countdown clock would be beneficial to enforcing those stricter deadlines throughout class periods. You can set it for different milestones throughout an activity and then take a minute to check the students work up to that point.

    Good luck next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! As long as you are growing and reflecting, no week is ever a failure! I like how you are trying to reshape your virtual classes - I think kids would enjoy going on a scavenger hunt in their house. I bet no other class has them get up out of their chair and run around - might even prompt some parents to ask what were you learning in that class?

    Something I am trying to implement after giving direction is asking a student to explain the directions back to me. In my high school, teachers often asked "Nicole, what are we doing? And how long do you have to do it? Go! Also, a way to avoid yes or no questions is to always start with a question word (why, who, what, where, when, etc.).

    Good luck with your horticulture crime scene! I'm hoping to see pictures in next week's blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every