Skip to main content

FFA Week & A Full Load, What a Crazy Week 6 it Has Been!

     Blue and Gold, Boots vs. Crocs, Drive Your Tractor to School, Pancake Eating Contest, and a Petting Zoo were just a few of the ways the Athens FFA chapter celebrated National FFA Week. Each day was a different adventure as I navigated wearing my Advisor hat and Teacher hat all at the same time all while teaching a full load for the first week! 

    It was a crazy adventure from seeing student's excitement as we counted up how many pairs of crocs vs. boots were in the room, then followed by a very heated debate. To completing a Rate of Flow lab with my Agricultural Mechanics 1 class. One of my students was even the champion of the pancake eating contest! Others were super excited to show of their pets at the petting zoo. The excitement and laughter that filled the school this week was infectious and made the stress of teaching 7 classes much easier. 



    

    As I began the week I quickly learned that I would in fact be getting quite the workout each day, as my CT and I counted that I will be going up and down the steps approximately 7 times each day. I will have calves of steel by the time student teaching is over! Through the frequent back and forth I realized how important it is to have bellwork up and posted for students because many of them arrive in the classroom before I do. I also switched things up a little thanks to some sound advice from Mr. Jon Seaman and Ms. Nicole Guise, and had my students complete a fishbone for Veterinary Science and Agricultural Mechanics 1. This allowed students to move through the content at their own pace all while pulling out 6 pieces of information they believed to be beneficial and summarizing those points. At first, I am pretty sure they all thought Miss. Royer was crazy but eventually came around. 


 

    This week was full of so many "wins" but I have two goals for next week and as I move forward through my student teaching experience. Organization is what made this week successful and less stressful, I need to maintain my organizational system as I move forward. I also want to ensure that I am moving at a pace that meets the needs of all of my students. I am excited to see what the next 9 weeks has in store and I cannot wait to dive further into content with all of my students. 

Questions: 

1. How do you meet the needs of such diverse learners in the classroom aside from given diverse options? (i.e. research diseases instead of drawing terminology) 

2. How do you set the "pace" in your classroom without going to fast or too slow?



Comments

  1. Hi Megan! I loved reading about how you used the fishbone diagram! I think it is a great way for students to visually pull out important pieces of a text/video - especially when it may be overwhelming or bogged down with science jargon. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every