Skip to main content

4 Days for Week 4!

 This week marks 4 weeks into this great adventure we call student teaching, from Horticulture Crime Scene Safety Lab, to Exploring SAEs, and rounding our week out with an awesome heart dissection. This week was nothing but adventure! I started my week with horticulture as we worked to identify the safety hazards that played a role in Tom's unfortunate accident. We also had a greenhouse scavenger hunt and created our own pesticide in some pretty crazy snow. We also worked in identifying the pH of three mystery samples. I implemented lots of quick thinking on my feet as we overcame a little snow, moving from the greenhouse, to the shop, and then finally ending class back in the classroom. It was a big step for me but, I learned so much along the way. 

    As we moved through the week I had the opportunity to observe not 1 but 2 science classrooms, attend my first chapter meeting (an officer meeting), and help with processing strawberry orders. It was exciting to not only wear my teacher hat this week but also fulfil my advisor duties as well. Due to an Act 80 day, students were only in school until Thursday which left just enough time for students in Introduction to Agriculture class recite the 4th and 5th paragraph of the creed. This particular class period served as one of the reminders as to why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place, so that I could be the same person for my students as my teachers were always for me. It definitely was the highlight of my week!

One student was nervous about presenting their paragraph, and in the moment their nerves seem to have gotten the best of them. I stepped out with that student and together we took a breathe, I reminded them just how capable they were and we discussed what was going through their mind. They confessed they were more nervous for their peers to be looking at them than the were about remembering the correct words. After a pep talk and a couple more times reciting the creed, we returned the classroom. I couldn't have been more proud of this student overcoming their fear and reciting the creed with confidence. I am so proud to have watched my student overcome their fears and I hope I can help a couple more students do the same, just as my Ag teacher once did for me. 

But if that doesn't tug on your heart strings, this surely will! The coolest part of my week by far was dissecting pig and cow hearts as well as a couple sets of lungs! Thanks to the support of the local community and some very inquisitive students, I learned so much through this experience and I had a lot of fun! 

My goals for next week are to keep on track by using a timer, getting more comfortable with implementing the use of a timer as I still feel awkward with it. I also plan on trying to be more assertive with my students when I start class, talking loud enough and in a tone where they can hear me and understand that it is time to learn. I feel I have grown so much and am I am thankful for my flexible students and supportive CTs. 


Comments

  1. Megan!
    This is some exciting stuff!!! I am so amazed and proud of your progress and your ability to help push these students. Were the dissections a normal part of this unit or was that your idea??? Where did you get the parts from?? I think giving the students that real world hands on experience can really help to make the content interesting and meaningful. Looking forward to what you will come up with in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! I am PUMPED you got to do your crime scene lab, how exciting?! It seems like you are really getting a good idea of all the roles an agriscience teacher must fulfill - FFA advisor, instructor, mentor, and coach. Will Athens be participating in any virtual CDEs? It seems like you are teaching a lot of content that would be represented in those CDE contests and your students may enjoy a competitive opportunity to showcase what they learned in class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every