Skip to main content

Playing with Blocks!

 

  This week we created interest approaches to help our students get their feet wet at the beginning of our lessons. My interest approach was created for a SAE/FFA Leadership course introducing communication and the different forms we frequently use. The students partnered up and used legos to build the actions written on their chosen note card. One student was the "speaker" and used the legos to communicate the task that they wanted their partner to complete. The "speaker" was not able to talk, motion, draw, or give any hints to their partner who was acting as the "listener".  Once all of the students had the chance to play each role we discussed who was successful, who wasn't, and why they believed that was the case. We also discussed how they communicated with partners making the transition into the content for the day which was exploring verbal and nonverbal communication.

I chose this lesson for two reasons. First, I thought it would be a fun, unique, and a hands on way for the students to truly experience a breakdown in communication and how difficult that can be. Secondly, communication is one of the many building blocks I hope to help my students use to be successful in and outside of my classroom. It is important for them to be able to communicate properly and successful in whatever they do but most specifically about the agricultural industry. Whether they choose to stay within the industry or not they still are in the position to advocate and share important information and properly communication techniques can make their job so much easier!

Overall, I was very excited to see just how interested and excited my cohort members were to participate in the activity both in person and online. I believe that if I were to do it again I would possibly use a different set of legos just because students struggled with the pieces they were supplied. I also would consider changing some of the tasks and extending the amount of building time. One thing I accomplished through this lab was moving more fluidly throughout the classroom which was a task I struggled with previously. I really enjoyed this week's lab and all of my cohort members' activities whether it was being hands on with soil, tool identification, playing Guess Who, or videos to explore animal behavior. We all were collectively able to reach our students and steer their focus towards the day's content in a fun and creative way!


Comments

  1. Megan,
    Thanks for sharing your experience this week. I agree that this activity could be used in many situations, and you chose a good one from the communication perspective. I am glad to see that you have given some thought to how you can make this an even better activity for your learners in the future!
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing with Legos was so much fun, Megan! I thought you did a great job explaining your interest approach, walking around the room checking in with each group, and connecting your interest approach to the lesson plan for the day. I agree that it might be easier to have individually selected different Legos pieces for the class, but your students can also make any piece work (which is what we did).

      Delete
    2. Megan, I really liked your interest approach this week, and will probably use it in the future. I also think having a set of legos could be helpful for many different courses so it seems like a good investment. Overall, I think you did a great job engaging the class and keeping us on task. It was a fun activity and really showed us how much we rely on verbal communication. I was thinking that maybe to make it a little more interesting you could assign groups that could use verbal communication (just without saying the exact work) and some groups could use hand gestures and others nothing but the blocks and then students could race to see which team could get 3-5 words fastest. I think the discussion following this would e helpful to show how the incorporation of all types of communication are needed to get your point across. Great Job this week!

      Delete
    3. Hi Megan,
      I loved how interactive your interest approach was and I think it connected to your lesson very well. I think that if you do this activity with your students in the future that you could possibly change it by giving everyone the same sets of pieces to even out the playing field (Maddie and I definitely had an advantage with the horse piece, not that I'm complaining)! This was such an awesome and creative idea!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.

Who I Am

"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan." Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love. My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every