Skip to main content

Who I Am


"I am Charlotte's Granddaughter, The spitting image of my Father, and when the day is done my Momma's still my biggest fan."

Thanks to the roots that run deep in Centre County, the Agriculture Industry, and the Centre County Grange Fair, I have happily found my place in agricultural education from the first day I joined an agricultural sciences course. I did so without my parent's permission (sorry Mom and Dad). From bringing home my very first pig, to running for Fair Queen, I have had unwavering support from my family. They have watched and allowed for my passion to grow as I enjoy educating the youth and the public about the agricultural industry. This goes perfectly with my love for talking, (as my family knows all too well) and once you get me talking there is absolutely no going back, especially about something I love.
My first love, the one that truly started it all for me, was the fair. A ten day long opportunity, where I was able to share with every person that walked by, about my favorite four legged pal, Daisy.  Unlike most, Daisy oinked, and preferred to have bath rather than go for a walk but I loved her just the same. Like any high school girl's dream, nothing is better than when your best friend tells you he's gotten you a surprise and the next thing you know you're coming home with a pig. (Try explaining that to your parents.) She was my first opportunity to educate, share, get others involved. I knew from the moment I told a little boy about her favorite treat, marshmallows, education was where I wanted to be. Later, with a little encouragement and a lot of determination I found myself now reigning as the Centre County Grange Fair Queen. This gave me the opportunity to no longer just talk about pigs but all the aspects of agriculture that made up our county and the importance of each and every one of them.
There were definitely days where I didn't know what I was doing, and I am by no means graceful enough to be the next Miss America. But, there is one thing I know for sure, teaching about the pigs, the fair, or the agricultural industry is what makes me the happiest. I cannot wait to see where this Ag Ed Journey takes me. One things for sure, I know my family, friends, and tiara will always be in tow.

"Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy but I've got friends that love me and they know just where I stand,  it's all a part of me and it's who I am." - Jessica Andrews

- Megan

Comments

  1. You will learn so much on this journey. Do not miss experiences and opportunities when they present themselves. You will make a great ag teacher, but for now focus on preparing for your journey to senior year. You need a solid foundation in order to build a sturdy house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Athens is Humble and Kind

  As I began my student teaching internship, I was welcomed with open arms by my cooperating teachers, the other educators, administrators, and of course my students! My first full week included observing, In-Service days, a State Officer Visit, FFA Lock In, and a meeting with the middle school Ag Teacher. It has been an incredibly busy week as I have slowly gotten the swing of things. I worked to master the schedule for the day and finding my way around the building. My students have been so kind and helpful, showing me around, explaining to me the bell schedule a couple times now, as well as sharing with me what they are most excited about learning in the upcoming months. A highlight of my week was when 3 students asked Mrs. Alderfer when she was done teaching Intro to Agriculture because they wanted Miss. Royer to teach! :)  As I enter the weekend I am focusing on finding an organizational system that will work best for me as I begin teaching my first two classes next week, Hor

My First Day of School... Lab Edition!

  This week I had my first day of school, though it wasn't with my students at Athens Area High School, I did have the opportunity to share it with my cohort members. The excitement of a new year with new adventures awaiting still filled the room, the difference you ask? Well this year all eight of us girls were the teachers this time, making our first day experience a little different.  Every student remembers the excitement of reuniting with your friends after a long summer away, seeing who you have lunch or study hall with, and finally seeing your favorite teacher you have missed all summer. For teachers, your first day of school sets the tone for the rest of the school year. Not only are you sharing what content students will be learning throughout the year, but what expectations you have for them while in your classroom. For my student's I used the framework "The 3 R's in Miss. Royer's Room", this idea came from my elementary school principal Mrs. Zmyslo.